Cellulose used to make supplement capsules is misleadingly branded as “veggie caps” – however these capsules are in fact not made from vegetables, but from pine tree bark or cotton plant fibers. It’s quite a stretch to call either of these “vegetables.”
Those of us with strong salicylate sensitivities (or perhaps allergies) may not tolerate cellulose and may do better with gelatin caps – this is certainly my case.
I’ve spent a lot of time reading ingredient labels, trying to find supplements which don’t contain cellulose, or which contain cellulose ONLY in the capsule and not as a filler as well. I’m sharing my list here to help others with the same problem.
When curating this list, I’m also avoiding other salicylate-risky ingredients such as annato, flavorings, olive oil, benzoates, etc.
I will update this list as I find more options. Please double check ingredients before you purchase – manufacturers might change their ingredients at any time.
Cellulose-Free Low Sal Supplements
Nutricost Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) – 100 mg*
- Naturebell – P5P – 100 mg*
- Vitacost B-12 Methylcobalamin – 500 mcg
Cod Liver Oil
- Jigsaw Health Alaskan Cod Liver Oil
- Nature’s Bounty Co-Q10 Q-Sorb™
- Vital Nutrients Pancreatin & Ox Bile Extract
- Pure Encapsulations EPA DHA Essentials
- Source Naturals Serene Science GABA Calm Mind
- Seeking Health Magnesium Malate – powder
- Naturebell Magnesium Citrate – 500 mg*
- Eidon Ionic Minerals Liquid Molybdenum Concentrate
- Jarrow Formulas MSM – powder
- Solaray Babylife Bifidobacterium Infantis – powder
- NOW Sun-E 400
- Jigsaw Health Vitamin K2 + E Complex
- Premier Research Labs Liquid Zinc Ultra
Cellulose-Capsuled Low Sal Supplements
These supplements don’t contain cellulose as a filler but do have cellulose capsules. Their contents can be emptied out or transferred to gelatin capsules.
- Doctor’s Best Benfotiamine + Alpha Lipoic Acid 150 mg/300 mg
- NOW B-2 100 mg*
- NOW B-6 100 mg
- NOW Biotin — 1000 mcg
- NOW Biotin — 5000 mcg*
- Pure Encapsulations Calcium-d-Glucarate
- Enzymedica Digest Spectrum
- Microbiome Labs FODMATE
- Codeage Liposomal Glutathione – Reduced Setria® L Glutathione
- Biocodex Florastor* ***
- Jarrow Formulas Ideal Bowel Support LP299V
- Microbiome Labs HU58
- Natural Factors CalmBiotic* **
- Seeking Health Saccharomyces Boulardii
- NOW Taurine 500mg
*Contains stearic acid or magnesium stearate
***Labeling was unclear, spoke with the manufacturer who said cellulose was only in the capsule.
This article does not intend to diagnose any health conditions or offer treatment advice. Please consult with your health practitioners before trying any supplements or making any dietary changes.
Last updated on March 4, 2022 at 10:15am.